Normal business hours 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday – Thursday (with limited capacity and services). Closed on Friday.
We issue certified birth, marriage, and death certificates, marriage licenses and file records for deaths that take place in Providence.
To protect the health and safety of the public and our staff members, we have modified services.
- Walk-in, public service is limited, and visitors are encouraged to use the window service.? ?Call us 401-680-5213 or email ahead of your visit.
- Our office capacity is limited to two guests at a time.
- Immediate issuance of certified copies of birth, marriage, and death certificates is suspended until further notice.
- Issuance of marriage licenses is by appointment only. Applications must be submitted (through Viewpoint) before making an appointment.
DO NOT REPORT TO CITY HALL FOR A MARRIAGE LICENSE UNTIL AN APPLICATION IS SUBMITTED AND AN APPOINTMENT IS SCHEDULED!
- Visitors to City Hall will be required to enter the building on Eddy Street and will be screened for temperature and COVID symptoms.
- We are piloting “window service” on Fulton Street. Window service will be reserved for quick transactions including payments, filing death records, submitting a record request and issuing other documents. We highly recommend using the window for service to avoid waiting to enter the building.
- Record requests can be sent via:
- Mail or?dropped off? via our Window Service on Fulton Street.
- All requests for records require a copy of a valid, government-issued photo id.
- Record requests received before 10:30 AM will be ready for pick-up after 2:30 pm.
- Records requests can be mailed to the requestor. Include a self-addressed envelope with payment and a copy of a valid photo id.
- Record requests may be experience delays. Staff will not be able to respond to status inquires by phone. Please email .
- Expedited service is available by including a pre-paid, overnight return envelope with your request.
- Any birth record after 1959 can be obtained at any city or town hall in Rhode Island.
Application forms are available below (in PDF format) for you to download, fill-out, and hand-deliver or mail to the Department of Vital Records at?25 Dorrance Street, Providence RI 02903.
NOTE:??All mail-in applications require you to attach a photocopy of a valid government-issued picture ID.
Payment may be made by check or money order? (payable to “City of Providence”) or by credit card.
If born after 1960 – a certified copy of your birth certificate can be obtained at any city or town hall in the State of Rhode Island.
- Marriage License: $24.00
- Marriage Certificate: $22.00 (walk-in) / $25.00 (mail-in)
- Death Certificate: $22.00 (walk-in) / $25.00 (mail-in)
- Birth Certificate: $22.00 (walk-in) / $25.00 (mail-in)